Thursday, August 11, 2011

History : Scene 1

Due to the current London riot thing that's still going on, it got me remembering some incidents that happened to me when I was living in Wales years back. Before I start to forget these memories, I should write them down just so I can refer back any day. Therefore, voilĂ ! It'll be here on my blog.

I lived in Cardiff, the capital of Wales. My family and I weren't rich since pound sterling is rather high plus we were there because my dad was doing his Ph.D. We lived in a small flat above this laundrette owned by Mr. Malik down on Pen-Y-Lan Road. Here;


There was another flat above us. So you can see the entrance where you have to go through the glass door first followed by the wooden door. After that is a long narrow hall way to some stairs where you go up and come upon my house door.

During this one incident, the family living above us were Malays and they had 2 daughters. We would play together in the hall way. I even taught them how to recite some prayers. Anyway there was this one time where we would play there with the wooden door open but glass door locked. Somehow for a few days, this middle-aged Caucasian man would stop by in front of the door like everyday that time. He would smile at us, waving. Of course thanks to our school who teaches students to never talk to strangers, we did not react back. I don't know why but he would come by look at us play from outside, smiling and waving as usual. There was this one time where he even knocked on the glass door and pointed at it indicating for us to open it. Thank God for the "don't talk to strangers" education. He could've been some paedophile, oh God forbid.

Sure nowhere is safe in this world, but somehow you feel much safer when living in your own home country.

No comments:

Post a Comment